Are you aged 11-19 years and live in Rochdale, Heywood, Middleton, Littleborough, Wardle, Milnrow, Belfield, Smallbridge or Newhey? Would you like issues which affect people your age to be debated in the House of Commons by your UK Youth Parliament? Sarah Mahmood, the Member of UK Youth Parliament (MYP) for Rochdale Borough will be representing YOU in the House of Commons on Friday 10th November and wants to know what issues you want sorting! The top 10 issues raised by young people this year are:
- A curriculum to prepare us for life – including sex, relationships, finance and politics.
- Votes at 16 – in all elections and referendums.
- Protect LGBT+ people – because LGBT+ people deserve to be treated the same as everyone else!
- Funding to support young carers should be increased!
- Public transport to be cheaper, better and more accessible for all.
- First aid education for all young people on a regular basis, including CPR. Defibrillators should be available in all schools across the UK.
- Mental health services should be improved with young people’s help!
- Make the invisible visible – young people should work together to raise awareness of debilitating illnesses and conditions which are not always visible.
- Protect school budgets from damaging cuts!
- Work experience hubs for 11-18 year olds because knowing where to find work experience can be challenging!
Choose 1 issue which is most important to you and vote now and you can watch the debate live on BBC Parliament and online! You can vote through Rochdale Youth Service in schools, colleges and youth clubs across the borough or you can vote online at: http://www.mi-event.info/event/makeyourmark17
Sarah Mahmood and Rochdale Borough Youth Cabinet will also look at the local results and meet with key decision makers to ensure the issues affecting you locally are addressed too! If you want to get in touch with questions or would like to be more involved, contact the youth cabinet on Twitter @cabinet_rys or e-mail email@example.com